Tuesday, December 11, 2007

Presidential Science Debate?

There's a call for a presidential debate on scientific issues -- here on Facebook. (I guess you have to be a Facebook member, which leaves me out. Seems silly to wall it off like that.) Michael Lemonick of Time magazine repeats it here.

I can't see the Presidential candidates going anywhere near this one -- especially the Republicans, but including the Democrats. There is just too much opportunity for them to look stupid, and they know it. I also think that, unfortunately, the majority of Americans don't care about scientific issues (and the candidates know this). They rarely if ever poll very high, even global warming, even now. There is little mention of them in the day-to-day discourse of the presidential campaigns, dismal as it is. And most Americans are creationists anyway, which speaks volumes about their scientific awareness.

UPDATE: Here's the Web site: http://www.sciencedebate2008.com .

I'm not going to sign on to this petition -- as a journalist, I don't feel it's my place to be advocating for or against anything like this.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

It's funny that Chris Mooney, one of the people behind this, leaves his book ("The Republican War on Science") off of his description on the Who We Are page.