Sunday, July 07, 2013

North Umpqua River

Just got back from several days staying at a cabin on the North Umpqua River in southern Oregon.

It is one of the most beautiful rivers I have ever seen, with salmon and beaver and ducks, tumbling steadily out of the Cascade mountains on its way to the Pacific Ocean.




We went to Crater Lake, which is the only place, besides the Grand Canyon, that was inconceivable to me until I actually go the edge and take it in with my own eyes. It is that spectacular. No picture can do it justice.



And, of course, my 8-year old nephew and my 5-year old niece are more amazing than ever, smart and clever. Still a bit bratty, but my niece is a real cutup, who already has a great sense of humor and who clearly enjoys making people laugh and having them laugh at her.

We were explaining the North Umpqua River to her, and then she asked, "what about he South Umpqua River?" and later when we crossed that she said, "All Umpqua are connected," which really floored me, and still does.

Scary clever. She's already one of the most interesting people I know.

No comments: