Tuesday, February 02, 2010

Lost, The Final Season -- No Way

Last night I watched the preview of Lost's last season, which is supposed to catch you up on everything.

I'd watched most of Lost Seasons 1 and 2, but had little motivation to keep up with it after that. It is very sloppy, poorly written fiction and/or science fiction. I don't care at all about any of the characters, and the whole premise is hackneyed -- are we on the 3rd or 4th plane crash now, and what year is it anyway, and didn't the island disappear, and everything seems to go in a big cycle, finishing nowhere. Whatever happened to that sequence of numbers, anyway?

The absolute best moment was when Locke was digging at the underground chamber, down in the dirt, roots and everything, pounding and pounding on the lid -- and suddenly a light from below came on. Chills up your spine.

Since then it has all been downhill. Fast.

Like I said, I don't care about even one of the characters, even one of the sexy girls (and aren't they all?). I have no idea where anyone else is in time or space. I have no impression that the writers do either.

Is anyone still watching this bloated carcass? If so, why?

1 comment:

The Blob said...

I agree with you. I was engrossed by season 1, but about midway into season 2 the drawn out nature of the writing became ever more obvious. Pointless character development, too much focus on characters I didn't care about - who ended up being killed anyway, sub-plots that just ended in dead-ends, whole episodes going by without any answers. It just didn't seem well written at all and became more of a rambling soap than a sci-fi. It started getting a bit weird too.

I figured that they were either stalling because they hadn't yet figured out good answers to the mysteries they raised, or more likely they were just trying to thinly spread the story over a profitable 6 seasons run of dvds.

Either way I gave up watching. Lost could have been a memorable well written story in 2 seasons that generations to come would watch. But now I doubt many will even remember it in 30 years time. Id love to see the trend in the viewer figures.