Monday, May 12, 2008

Top 10 Earthquakes since 1900

The LA Times has an interesting map of the top 10 earthquakes in the world since 1900. The continental U.S. doesn't have any in the top 10, but Alaska has three of them.

Shaking during the 1964 earthquake in Anchorage lasted for 4 minutes. Imagine.

I'm still anxiously awaiting my first earthquake here in Portland(*). There have been a few small tremors around town since I've moved here, but nothing I've felt or noticed.

(*) Not that I want anyone to get hurt in it, of course.

1 comment:

Lise Harwin said...

Hey David,

I know you've never experienced a Portland earthquake, but I hope you're still prepared when -- not if -- the big one happens.

We have lots of safety tips (a surprising amount of which are earthquake specific) over at our Red Cross blog.

Check it out at www.redcrosspdx.blogspot.com!